The busier you get, the easier it is to fall into the trap of ‘busy work,’ or tasks that make you feel like you're accomplishing things but actually detract from business success. Let's take a look at a few typical time-wasters and how they can negatively impact time management and the successful growth of your business.
Typical Time-Wasters that Impact Business Growth
1. Overthinking Administrative Duties. As a sales manager or small business owner, you've got more than your share of administrative duties to tend to each day. If you can delegate some of these tasks, do so. Otherwise, set a time limit for administrative duties and tend to them in a time-efficient manner.
2. Too Much Attention to Tiny Fires. Part of business growth is experiencing growing pains. While these little hiccups are normal you shouldn't find yourself tending to a growing number of problems. Rather than waste time being drawn into drama or putting out tiny fires, look for the root of the problems and tend to it.
3. Keep it Simple. Don't overcomplicate the process. Define the task that needs to be done, and do it.
4. Daily Schedule Delays. Nothing wastes more time than arriving at the office without having pre-planned your day. Write in your daily planner or calendar. Block out time for administrative work. Schedule appointments, phone calls and meetings. Makes notes about who you need to talk to or special projects that need your attention. This practice will greatly improve time management and increase productivity.
5. Hiding Behind Social Media. Without social media, today’s business world would not function as thoroughly or in such a far-reaching manner. However, too much time on business-related social media can cause hours to go by without accomplishing much. Potential clients also want to hear from you via email or phone, not just through Facebook or Twitter.
To read the full article: 5 Things You’re Focusing Too Much Time on that Could Affect Business Growth
About Sandler Training: Sandler has been recognized with multiple national awards, including "Training Industry Top 20 Training Companies" and "Selling Power Magazine Top 20 Sales Training Companies." Sandler's fully customizable training effectively serves clients in variety of industries, and company sizes. Clients include IT, Banking, Healthcare and many others, and include small to mid-sized through large organizations. You may contact James Alberson of Sandler Training for details on their programs.